Why I Will Never Own A Smart Refrigerator.
I will never own a smart refrigerator. This is not because I fear technology. I fear many things spiders, tax forms, and any yoghurt described as “activated” but technology is not one of them.
I have embraced modern life. I have apps. I have devices. I have a toaster that, according to the manual, “optimises heat‑flow pathways for artisanal browning.” I don’t know what that means, but it sounds like something NASA would say right before launching a probe into the sun.But a smart refrigerator? No. Absolutely not. Because a refrigerator is supposed to be a big cold cupboard. That’s it. It is not supposed to be a lifestyle coach, a surveillance hub, or a judgemental glowing rectangle that knows how many times I’ve opened the door looking for cheese.Smart refrigerators, according to the marketing, can “track your groceries,” “suggest recipes,” and “integrate seamlessly with your digital ecosystem.” This sounds impressive until you realise that what they actually do is send you passive‑aggressive notifications like: “You appear to be low on kale.”
I don’t want kale. I have never wanted kale. If I ever want kale, I will go outside, find a hedge, and eat it.And then there’s the screen. Modern smart fridges have enormous touchscreens on the front, like they’re trying to become the household’s second television. I don’t need my fridge to show me the weather. I know the weather. I live in Britain. The weather is “grey with a chance of emotional collapse.” I don’t need my fridge to play music. I don’t need it to display photos. I don’t need it to tell me the time. I need it to keep things cold and not talk to me.But the real reason the true reason I will never own a smart refrigerator is that I do not want my appliances forming alliances behind my back. Because once your fridge is smart, it starts talking to your other devices. And once your devices start talking, they start plotting.
Imagine this: you’re asleep. It’s 3 a.m. Suddenly your smart fridge lights up and whispers to your smart toaster, “He opened me seven times today. Seven. For cheese. He has no discipline.” The toaster replies, “I know. He keeps cancelling my artisanal browning cycle.” Meanwhile your smart kettle is Googling “legal rights of appliances” and your smart thermostat is drafting a manifesto.By morning, your entire kitchen has unionised.And don’t tell me this is impossible. We all know how this goes. First your fridge suggests a recipe. Then it suggests a shopping list. Then it suggests a “health optimisation plan.” Then it locks itself and refuses to open until you complete a mindfulness module about your relationship with dairy.
This is how civilisation ends: not with war, not with plague, but with a refrigerator that refuses to let you have butter because your cholesterol score “does not align with its wellness objectives.”Also and this is important! I do not want a fridge that can be hacked. I do not want to wake up one morning and discover that some teenager in Belgium has remotely changed my fridge temperature to “tropical” and renamed it “Chilluminati_9000.” I do not want ransomware demanding £500 in exchange for defrosting my peas.So no. I will never own a smart refrigerator. I will keep my dumb refrigerator. My loyal refrigerator. My silent refrigerator. The one that does not judge me, does not track me, and does not send me notifications about kale.
The one that simply stands there, humming quietly, like a large white friend who keeps your beer cold and never asks questions.That is all I want from life.That, and cheese.
Comments
Post a Comment