Thistlefall.
There are many ways to learn important life lessons. Some people read philosophy. Some meditate.
I, however, prefer the more traditional method of being violently ejected from a tractor into a patch of thistles, because nothing clarifies the human condition quite like discovering that nature has invented a plant whose sole purpose is to stab you in the buttocks! Let me set the scene. It was a peaceful morning on the farm birds chirping, sun shining, tractor rumbling in that reassuring “I’m old but still technically functional” way. I was feeling confident, which is always the first sign that disaster is warming up in the wings. In fact, I was feeling too confident, the kind of confidence that makes a man think, “I bet I can steer this tractor with one hand while opening a packet of crisps with the other.”This was, in hindsight, a mistake.Because tractors, as any seasoned farmer will tell you, are basically large metal toddlers: they look sturdy, but the moment you stop paying attention, they decide to do something catastrophic.
Mine chose that exact moment to hit a bump roughly the size of Wales. The tractor lurched. I lurched. Gravity, which has never once missed an opportunity to ruin my day, stepped in with enthusiasm.Suddenly I was airborne, performing what I can only describe as an interpretive dance titled Man Regrets Everything. My limbs flailed. My crisps scattered. I briefly achieved a level of grace that would have impressed Olympic gymnasts, before immediately losing it and plummeting toward the ground like a sack of disgruntled potatoes.Now, if the ground had been soft grass, this story would end here. But no. Fate had prepared a special landing zone: a majestic, thriving, aggressively spiky bed of thistles!
If you’ve never landed in thistles, imagine falling into a pile of angry hedgehogs who have recently completed weapons training.The moment I hit them, my body produced a noise I had never made before and hopefully never will again! a sort of high‑pitched yodel that suggested both pain and deep personal betrayal. The thistles welcomed me warmly, in the sense that they inserted themselves into every available surface of my anatomy. I attempted to stand, but the thistles politely insisted I stay seated by attaching themselves to my trousers. As I flopped around like a man trying to escape a cactus‑themed mousetrap, the tractor rolled to a stop and looked back at me and I swear it was judging me.
Tractors do that. They pretend to be simple machines, but deep down they know exactly what they’ve done.Eventually, after enough thrashing to qualify as a small earthquake, I freed myself from the thistle patch. I stood up, covered in scratches, missing one boot, and looking like I’d lost a fight with an enraged porcupine. A passing cow stared at me with the expression cows reserve for moments when humans prove themselves unfit for leadership.And yet and this is the important part I learned something. I learned that tractors should be respected. I learned that thistles are nature’s way of reminding us we are not in charge. And I learned that no matter how humiliating the situation, there is always someone willing to pretend they didn’t see it, unless that someone is a cow.
So yes, I fell off a tractor and landed in thistles. But I rose again, scratched, wiser, and absolutely certain of one thing: next time, I’m opening my crisps before I start the engine!
Comments
Post a Comment