The Search For The Perfect Budget Hotel.










You would think based on logic, common sense, and the fact that humanity has invented things like penicillin and the Dyson cordless vacuum that finding a decent budget hotel would be easy. 

After all, “budget” simply means affordable, not a place where hope goes to die. And yet every time I embark on this quest, I end up in establishments that appear to have been decorated by someone who has only ever seen hotels described in police reports.The hunt always begins the same way: scrolling through a booking website that promises “Great Value Stays!” This is a phrase that, in hotel‑marketing dialect, translates directly to “We have walls.” The photos are always suspiciously blurry, as though the photographer was fleeing the premises while being chased by something with pincers. The rooms look fine until you realise the bedside lamp is plugged into a socket located in another room, and the window view is described as “urban,” meaning “a skip.”But I am a determined traveller. I tell myself: This time will be different. This is the same lie people tell themselves before assembling flat‑pack furniture.

So I book a room.Upon arrival, the first thing I notice is that the hotel lobby smells faintly of despair and strongly of a cleaning product that has definitely been banned in several countries. The receptionist greets me with the enthusiasm of someone who has just been told they must work an extra shift and also fight a bear.Then comes the room key, which is always either a flimsy plastic card that stops working if you look at it too hard, or a giant metal fob the size of a medieval weapon. Budget hotels love these keys because they ensure guests cannot possibly lose them without causing structural damage.Inside the room, I am greeted by décor that can only be described as “beige.” Everything is beige. The curtains are beige. The carpet is beige. The air is beige. The bedspread pattern appears to depict a battle between two species of bacteria.The bathroom is a marvel of engineering, in that it contains a shower that produces water at exactly two temperatures: Arctic Expedition and Molten Core of the Sun. The showerhead is positioned so that no matter how you stand, the water hits you directly in the face with the force of a fire hose operated by someone who hates you personally.

Budget hotels also provide complimentary toiletries, which consist of a bottle of shampoo labelled “Hair Liquid” and a bar of soap roughly the size and density of a paving stone. The towel is technically a towel in the same way a crisp packet is technically a container.Then there is the bed, which has the structural integrity of a political promise. You lie down and immediately sink into a mysterious crater that suggests previous guests were either extremely heavy or extremely panicked.And yet AND YET I keep searching. Because somewhere out there, hidden among the “value stays,” “economy inns,” and “rooms above pubs that close at 3 a.m.,” there must exist a perfect budget hotel: clean, quiet, affordable, and containing a shower that doesn’t attempt to assassinate you.I believe in this mythical place. 

I will find it. And when I do, I will cherish it, celebrate it, and immediately tell everyone I know, thus ensuring it becomes fully booked forever.Such is the circle of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder, Marrow, and Mayhem: The Unsettling Charm of the English Countryside.

The Unfunny Business of Laughing at Your Troubles.

The Gilded Shoebox: A Peek Behind Palace Gates.