My Attempt At Pilates
There comes a point in every adult’s life when you realise your body has quietly declared independence.
Mine did so last Tuesday, when I decided to “try Pilates.” I’d read that it improves flexibility, posture, and inner calm — three qualities I last possessed in 1988, briefly, while reaching for a biscuit.The class was held in a studio that smelled faintly of lavender and regret. Everyone there looked serene, like people who had already transcended the need for cartilage. The instructor, a woman named Sky (of course), welcomed us with the kind of smile usually reserved for cult leaders and people who own too many candles.“Pilates,” she said, “is about connecting with your core.”I don’t know where my core is. I suspect it left years ago, possibly during a particularly violent sneeze.
We began with something called the “hundred.” This involves lying on your back, lifting your legs, and flapping your arms like a stranded penguin while counting to one hundred. By count twelve, I had discovered new muscles one behind my left ear, another somewhere near despair. Sky floated past, murmuring, “Engage your powerhouse.” I tried, but my powerhouse was on strike.Next came the “roll‑up.” This is where you attempt to sit up gracefully, vertebra by vertebra, like a majestic dolphin rising from the sea. I, however, resembled a man trying to escape a beanbag during an earthquake. The woman beside me rolled up so elegantly I considered applauding, but my arms were busy negotiating a ceasefire with gravity.
Then we moved to the “plank.” The plank is a position invented by sadists to test whether humans can hover indefinitely while pretending it’s good for them. Sky said, “Hold for thirty seconds.” I held for three, then began to see visions of my ancestors, all shaking their heads and muttering, “We warned you about exercise.”At one point, Sky said, “Breathe into your spine.” I don’t know how to do that. I tried inhaling near my back, but it just made a noise like a deflating balloon.By the halfway mark, I was sweating so much the mat beneath me had developed its own microclimate. My neighbour, a cheerful retiree named Maureen, whispered, “It gets easier.” I appreciated her optimism, though I suspect she was lying for morale purposes.
The final move was called “the teaser.” This is where you balance on your tailbone while lifting your legs and arms into a V‑shape, smiling as if you’re enjoying it. I achieved something closer to the letter Q a confused, collapsing shape accompanied by a noise that sounded like a haunted accordion.When the class ended, Sky said, “How do you feel?” I told her I felt taller, mostly because my spine had given up and was now permanently extended in shock. She smiled serenely and said, “That’s the Pilates glow.”I limped home glowing mainly from friction burns.Later, I looked in the mirror and realised Pilates hadn’t improved my posture, but it had taught me valuable lessons:Never trust anyone who says “just breathe.”Gravity is undefeated.My core is a myth.
I’ll probably go back next week, because I’m British and therefore genetically programmed to suffer politely while pretending it’s character‑building.
Comments
Post a Comment