An Upgrade From The Cheap Seats.
There comes a moment in every human life when you realise you’ve been sitting in the wrong place.
Maybe it’s at a concert, a football match, or a flight where your knees are auditioning for Cirque du Soleil. You look up at the people in the premium section those smug, well‑lit beings with legroom and snacks and you think: I could be one of them. Then you remember your bank account, which laughs like a hyena with a mortgage.I’ve spent most of my existence in the cheap seats. The cheap seats are where civilisation goes to test its limits.They’re sticky, they squeak, and they smell faintly of despair and nacho cheese. The people there are united by one thing: the belief that the universe owes them a better view. We crane our necks like meerkats, we squint through other people’s hair, and we develop a spiritual connection with the back of someone’s head.
But one day, through a cosmic administrative error, I got upgraded. It happened at an airline desk, where I was expecting the usual ritual humiliation “Sir, your bag is overweight, and so are your hopes.” Instead, the attendant smiled and said, “You’ve been upgraded to Business Class.” I looked around for hidden cameras. I half‑expected The boss of the Airline to leap out shouting, “Just kidding!” But no. I was handed a boarding pass that looked like it had been printed on angel skin.Boarding the plane, I entered a parallel universe. The seats were wide enough to host a small family reunion. There were buttons that did things moved, reclined, massaged. A flight attendant offered me champagne before take‑off. In economy, the only thing offered before take‑off is anxiety.
I tried to act casual, like I belonged there, but my inner cheap‑seat self kept whispering, “Don’t touch anything, it costs more than your car.”The food arrived on actual plates. I stared at it suspiciously. In the cheap seats, food comes in shrink‑wrapped despair pods labelled “Chicken‑ish.” Here, it was something recognisable, with garnish. I ate slowly, savouring the taste of victory and free olives.Then came the moment of enlightenment. As I reclined my seat into a horizontal bed, I realised that the upgrade wasn’t just physical it was spiritual. I was no longer a mere passenger; I was a person who could look down on other passengers, literally. I gazed through the curtain separating us from economy, and I swear I heard faint sobbing and the rustle of pretzel packets. I wanted to wave, but that felt cruel. Instead, I whispered a silent prayer for them: “May your knees someday know freedom.”
Of course, the danger of an upgrade is that it ruins you for normal life. Once you’ve tasted the good stuff, you can’t go back. The next time I flew, I was back in economy, wedged between a man who snored like a chainsaw and a toddler who believed seat‑kicking was an Olympic sport. I looked toward the curtain, longing for the land of champagne and dignity. But I reminded myself that the cheap seats are where stories are born. Nobody writes epic tales about comfort. The cheap seats are the forge of character, the crucible of patience, and the birthplace of sarcasm.So yes, I was upgraded once. It was glorious. But deep down, I know I belong with my people the ones who clap when the plane lands, who spill popcorn in cinemas, who shout “Ref!” at televisions. We are the backbone of civilisation, the noisy, sticky, heroic masses.
And if fate ever upgrades us again, we’ll take selfies, post them online, and pretend we always fly that way. But we’ll still secretly miss the chaos of the cheap seats
Comments
Post a Comment