My Knees ..... The End Is Near!
My knees have officially filed for divorce. They’ve cited “irreconcilable differences”, “emotional neglect”, and “the incident with the garden steps”, which they claim was premeditated. I maintain it was an accident.
They maintain I’m a liar. Either way, the end is near, and my knees are leading the charge like two bony doomsday prophets with cartilage made of damp Ryvita.You don’t notice the decline at first. One day you crouch down to pick up a dropped sock and stand back up like a normal human. The next day you crouch down and your knees make a noise like a haunted wardrobe being opened by a Victorian ghost with unresolved trauma. It’s a sound that says: “We’re done here.” It’s the sound of betrayal.
And then comes the moment THE moment! when you realise your knees have entered their villain era. For me, it was getting out of a chair. A simple act. A routine manoeuvre. Something I’ve done roughly a billion times without incident. But suddenly my knees staged a full-scale walkout. I pushed up, they pushed down, and the result was a noise that can only be described as “crunchy despair”. I froze. My wife looked over. “Was that you or the chair?” she asked. I didn’t answer. I didn’t need to. The chair has a lawyer.
The worst part is the stairs. Stairs used to be my friends. We had an understanding. I went up them, they stayed still. Now stairs are my sworn enemies. Going up feels like climbing Everest with two bags of cement strapped to my legs. Going down feels like a controlled fall supervised by a committee of elderly joints who have lost the will to live! I’ve started negotiating with stairs. “Please,” I whisper. “Just this once.” The stairs do not care.
And don’t get me started on kneeling. Kneeling is no longer an option. Kneeling is something other people do. Young people. Flexible people. People whose joints haven’t been replaced by gravel. If I drop something on the floor now, I have to make a decision: do I really need it, or can I simply say goodbye and start a new life without it? I lost a perfectly good pen last week because the floor was too far away. That’s where I’m at.
Of course, everyone has advice. “Strengthen your quads,” they say. “Do some stretching,” they say. “Try yoga,” they say, as if yoga is something my knees would tolerate. My knees would unionise. My knees would go on strike. My knees would send a strongly worded letter to the Health and Safety Executive.And then there’s the doctor. The doctor listens sympathetically, nods, and says something deeply unhelpful like: “Well, that’s ageing for you.” Ageing. As if that explains why my knees now sound like two squirrels fighting in a crisp packet. As if that explains why I can predict rain better than the Met Office simply by standing up too quickly.
But here’s the thing: despite the creaks, the crunches, the grinding, the groaning, and the occasional moment where I stand up and my knees go “NOPE”, I’m still going. I’m still walking. I’m still climbing stairs, albeit slowly, like a man reenacting a tragic scene from a Victorian melodrama. My knees may be plotting my downfall, but I’m not giving up.Because yes, the end may be near. My knees may be preparing their farewell tour. They may be writing their memoirs “We Tried Our Best: The Untold Story of Two Overworked Joints”. But until they actually detach themselves and roll away like disgruntled tumbleweeds, I’m carrying on.Besides, if my knees truly wanted to stop me, they’d have done it years ago. They’ve had plenty of opportunities. They’ve seen me run for buses. They’ve seen me attempt DIY. They’ve seen me dance at weddings. If they survived all that, they can survive a few more years of mild grumbling and dramatic sound effects.
So yes my knees are failing. Yes the end is near. But until that day arrives, I’ll be here, standing up slowly, sitting down carefully, and making noises that would alarm a vet!
Comments
Post a Comment